Thursday, February 21, 2013

Take A Break

So - yesterday, the girls and I were leaving the library and my van wouldn't start.  Long story short, I called AAA and when the guy came to tow me to our mechanic, the van started perfectly.  (Isn't that always the way?)  Even still, he said that he wanted to check under the hood before he left just to be sure he didn't see anything weird. 

He was unable to open the hood.  I had the hood replaced a few months ago and have not needed to open it since.  I told the AAA guy that I was set, thanked him for his time (even though I ended up not needing him) and decided that I'd drive the van to the autobody shop that replaced the hood.  They re-aligned it and I was good to go. 

I decided that, while I was already half-way to our regular mechanic, I would swing by there real quick so that they could try to figure out why my van wouldn't start earlier in the day. While dropping it off, it occurred to me to mention to them in a sort of "oh I almost forgot-it's not a big deal-but I may as well mention it" way, that my breaks had been making a weird noise for a few days.

G got a phone call from the mechanic.  They, too, can find nothing that would indicate why my car wouldn't start.  They did, however, tell him that my brakes were nearly shot, pieces falling to the ground (these are not the technical terms, but you get my point.)  I shouldn't have been driving the car - without question. 

Had my car started fine in the first place yesterday, I'd have driven without questioning the brakes, until who knows when.  If the car hadn't started but AAA towed my car to our mechanic, I'd have never thought to mention the brake issue. 

Scary. 

You may call it a coincidence.  I call it Divine Intervention.  It's would have been my Gram's birthday today. I think she gave me a present.

Thanks, Grams. 



No comments:

Post a Comment