Monday, January 21, 2013

What?

I am good at many things.  I know this to be true.

I am not so good at many things.  I know this to be true as well.  I am very okay with this.

Of the things that I am good at, it is safe to say that I am very, VERY good with young children.  I am hysterical, encouraging, comforting, understanding, empathetic, sympathetic, witty, smart.  Dare I say brilliant.  Okay, I'm going a bit overboard, but you get the point.  I "get" little kids. If you've seen me in a Little Music School classroom, you will know what I mean.  I'm not being conceited.  I'm good at what I do and I am very proud of it.

I will tell you where I don't shine.  I'd go so far as to say that not only do I not shine, I dull and fade.  Right before your very eyes.  It's remarkable.  It is, in fact, a talent in and of itself. 

It is in a classroom of pre-teen or teen-aged children.  I am (sometimes) okay in one-on-one conversations with said double digit aged beings.  I can converse with them and be marginally successful.  I don't think a lone pre-teen necessariily wants to go away running and screaming from a conversation with me (although I can't promise that that's never happened).  By the same token, there are conversations I have had and I haven't  wanted to jump off a cliff either.   I can hold my own in that situation most of the time.  In fact, one on one with this age-bracket, I thoroughly (sometimes) enjoy myself.

But get me in a classroom of pre-teen/teens and I honestly may as well be on the moon.  Honestly.  They don't get me and I surely don't get them.  I don't understand how they dress.  I don't understand how they talk.  I don't understand how they walk.  I don't understand how they smell.  I just don't understand them.

And I don't mean this is a condescending way.  I am quite positive that they feel exactly the same way about me.  If you saw us in action, you would undoubtedly agree.  It's painful.  I say something that I think is drop dead hysterical and they look at me as if I am speaking another language. They say something to me or to each other and I look at them with a look of absolute despair.  Despair at my inability to understand.  I. Just. Don't. Understand.

I have tried for years.   I saw someone recently who I knew when he was a teenager.  He now is a grown adult, married and with three children.  (Oh, GOD, I am old.)  I knew him when I was helping direct "OSKEY", our high school's annual variety show.  When I saw him recently, I said "hi, you probably don't remember me, but..."  And he said, 'Oh I totally remember you.  I had a total crush on you when I was in high school."  I nearly burst out laughing at him.  I can't imagine anyone in high school ever finding anything about me (the adult me) to be remotely positive or enjoyable- with regard to my personality, my looks, the way I dress, the way I present myself, anything.  And I'm not saying this so that people will reply with a whole bunch of great things about me.  Really.  I'm saying it because I am honestly an alien when it comes to people in this age-bracket.  And vice versa.  So, while I was deeply flattered, I definitely questioned his judgement.

I have joked with RL that once M and H hit 13, I will drop them off at her house and will happily retrieve them when they are 21.  I will continue to see them at weekly hangs, cast parties and cookouts so I won't lose all contact with them, but I will not have to deal with the confusion of preteen/teenage-dom.  And probably, more importantly, they will not need to deal with me. 

I try. I really do.  I just don't get it.

I can't even put it in to words.  Maybe the next time I find myself in the company of such types, I will record myself.  You'll be in awe.  Complete and total awe.

I swear.


2 comments:

  1. Teenage years are all about emerging, peeling away from the nest and trying to see if you will fit in with "others", under the influence of raging hormonal surges, which very much includes excluding/questioning everything that adults consider "common sense" and also those things which kids consider novel, interesting and silly fun. Trying to be a kid or an adult gets you nowhere becuase you're one of "them", and trying to be a moody teen with them only gets you a "whatever!", a rejection of being an imposter. The adults that I still recall as being admirable (now that I am an adult) were the ones who were themselves no matter what and offered that to me (as a teen) without reservation and with the knowing wisdom (and mirth) that someday I would figure it out and come back to earth. My children and their contemporaries are marrying, having kids and being parents. They remember being teens, but are not far enough away from it to recall how weird they were, until they meet a teen, are revolted, and ask me "Was I that bad??!" Yep, they were. And so was I once. And so will H&M be for a short period. You'll survive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "You'll survive." I'm going to hold you to that! Thank you!

      Delete