Tuesday, January 8, 2013

More Than Four

I sang and played the organ at a funeral today.  There were only four people sitting in the pews.  That doesn't include me, the priest, lector, deacon, or funeral home attendants.  It made me sad.  It made me think of my funeral (just for a minute and then I got creeped out.) 

I wouldn't want guests to wear black.  I think everyone would look great in orange or red.  Brown would be okay too, I suppose.  And fabulous lipstick and great funky rings. (Not the guys, but I guess I'd not be in a position to stop them at that point.) 

Sneakers (preferably converse) would be totally appropriate.  In fact, they'd be encouraged.

I'd want "Sing", "The Rainbow Connection" and "You Are My Sunshine" sung by little kiddos.  (This would be sure to make the congregation cry.  Sorry.  Don't say I didn't give you plenty of fair warning.)

I'm often told that I know a crazy amount of people.  Of all times, this would be a situation when this could come in handy.  The more, the merrier.  I'd want it to be like a big reunion.  Lots of hugs and "nice to see you agains". 

When it was all over, I'd want there to be a party to end all parties. 
With great food and drink (lots of it), 80's playlists non-stop (with a bit of '70's thrown in).
And laughter.  Fall on the floor-tears streaming down your face-miss half the funny stuff because everyone's laughing so hard-laughter. 

I'd want people to be assured that I was in a better place.  Because I could see and hear them, whenever I wanted to...and then I could move on my merry way when they started to drive me crazy.  (Because sometimes, I'm sorry to say, my "ability to deal with people threshold" is surprisingly low.)

I'd also want it to be clear that I was spending my days eating...and eating...and eating...and enjoying every delicious last bite.  Yummy food.  And never once was I thinking about how I should put that ump-teenth cookie down.  (It sometimes takes a while for me to decide if they are good or not, that's all.)

And most importantly, I'd want all the peeps who love me to know that I was spending each eternal minute only with those that I love more than life itself.  Every waking moment.  Whether they knew it or not.  So I wouldn't want them to be sad.  Because I'm sure I wouldn't be.

I've lost some pretty amazing people in my life.  And this is pretty much how I imagine them. They watch over my family and me.  They keep us safe and comforted, until they've had enough of our shennanigans.  Then they move on to the next crew who needs watching and guidance to do it all over again, and again, and again. On a regular basis, they all get together, have a great meal with wine and laugh about all the dumb things they see us do each day here in this world.  And believe me, we do a lot of dumb things to keep them entertained. As I've said before, happy to entertain.

No comments:

Post a Comment