Monday, January 28, 2013

Weight Lifted

You know when you say or do something and then you wish you hadn't?  And you know when that something you said or did was hurtful or offensive - even if you hadn't intended it to be that way?  And you know when you say to yourself, "I'd feel so much better if I could "fix" it.  All I need to do is pick up the phone, throw out a quick e-mail..." and you never do.

Well, today I was able to "fix" - not because I was the one to make the first step, although I should have been.  I just never got around to it and have no excuse.  I was able to fix because of a quick conversation that we had (okay, well it was a facebook message but isn't that the world we live in these days?...) where I could apologize.  That seems like a stronger word than may be needed, but the point is, in those few minutes of typing, a weight was lifted.  It was so easy. It's safe to say that no one lost sleep over my dumb-ass remark (I'm not pretending that my words are that important in anyone's lives) but I do think that it caused to take a step back and ponder.  In the end, my wise crack may help to teach.  I was joking but still shouldn't have said it. And I was able to tell them that I was sorry for being a knucklehead (in so many words).

Today, I am thankful that I was able to "fix" and I am grateful for those who allowed me to do so.  And they will take this little blip and use it to educate, inspire and - as I've said many, many times, amaze.

No comments:

Post a Comment