Saturday, January 19, 2013

Hope, Part Deux

I take so much (too much) for granted in my life.  No offense, but I bet most of you do too.  Don't we all?

This morning, our "Four Family" went ice skating at Patriot Place.  We had a blast.  G and I would switch off holding H and M's hands and finish our conversations where we had left off at the last switch. Only their second time on skates (we clearly will not win the Parents of the Year Award for that little fact), H and M were skating on their own without our help by the time we left.   H got that look in her eye and was determined to skate alone today.  She (not surprisingly) reminds me so much of me in that regard.  She's quite content, but if she wants something - look out.  M was a bit more hesitant at first, but not to be outdone by the Sister, she ended the day on her own as well.  They were psyched.

'Round and 'round we went.  Singing the songs played on the loudspeakers and trying to remember which "The Voice" contestant sang which song, reminiscing about their first time on skates last year and amazed at their improvement, talking about the restaurants at Pats Place that we'd like to try but haven't, what they will do tonight with their best bud at their sleepover, how the frozen ice cracks look like giraffe skin and how the poor little moth must have felt just before he was frozen underneath the top layer of ice. 

We came home to lunch and a little ESPN.  H took a snooze and now the girls are at rehearsal for "Cinderella", a ballet they will take part in next weekend.  I've been cooking all afternoon - homemade chicken soup and homemade biscuits for G's tailgate tomorrow, homemade sauce and meatballs for dinner tonight and ham and cheese "something or others" for T and L's house tomorrow where the girls and I will hang with friends and watch the game (while G will be freezing but happy - hopefully with a win).  Tomorrow morning, before we head over to T and L's house, H and M will go to the movies with my parents and I will run ten miles with friends and laugh the distance away.

The fact that this is typical "stuff" for us is amazing, wonderful, and scary.  Scary because I take it for granted.  Each. And. Every. Minute.  While all this happened, is happening or will happen, people are pouring in to The Cakebar.   Hundreds of people are walking away, bellies full of cupcakes, teas, hot chocolates, (and don't forget the frosting shots) - all for Livy's Hope. 

So many of us, some of whom know Livy and her family, others who only know their story, marked our calendars for this weekend to do our very small, miniscule part for Livy's Hope.  We made donations, we bought two cupcakes, we bought two dozen, we folded a box or two.  Because we can. It's the least we can do.  Because we can.  For some families, simply going in to a store to purchase a cupcake is nearly or truly impossible.   I'm not saying this in an "oh, isn't it great, this life we lead?" sort of way.  I'm saying this in a "holy shit, I take all of this for granted" sort of way.

Literally from Day One, I have been in awe of Livy and Hailey and their parents, Allison and Jon.  They live a life that I truly can't imagine.  I surely don't see them during their "I can't do this any more" moments.  But I can say with 100% certainty, that they have far less of those moments than I would have if I wore their shoes.  I have read their posts, looked at pictures and chatted with them, even if only for a bit.  They are, by far, THE most amazing people I've ever met in my life.  They don't take for granted a single moment of the little things.  They don't dare.  They live life and do EVERYTHING they can for Hailey and Livy.  Everything. And if you talk to them, they tell you that it is all of us who are amazing for supporting them or loving them or sharing their story.  Really?  Really?

I can't count how many times I have thought of them and have been horrified at how annoyed I was at the smallest inconvenience, annoyance or "thing not gone my way".  I can't tell you how many times I have read their blog and wiped tears away from my eyes, embarrassed at myself for my inability to realize how thankful I should be, how thankful G, H and M should be, for all that we have. I can't tell you how many times I have said a quiet little prayer for their family, praying they they know that their village is a vast, wide and strong one, filled with people honored to be a little part in their amazing world.

If you are reading this, and you've not already done so, head down to The Cakebar.  Or if you can't, (or even if you can) think about donating directly to Livy's Hope.  And as you do, maybe give yourself a little kick in the pants for all the times you've taken something - anything - for granted.

And while you're kicking yourself, give me a little kick too.  I could use it.

Check out Livy's story.  http://www.livyshope.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment