Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Just Call Me "Norm"

"Making your way in the world today takes everything you've got.
Taking a break from all your worries, sure would help a lot.

Wouldn't you like to get away?

Sometimes you want to go where everybody knows your name and they're always glad you came.
You wanna be where you can see our troubles are all the same.
You wanna be where everybody knows your name."

Today, I took a "Townie" run.  By that I mean, at nearly every corner, with every step, I was reminded why I, quite simply, love my hometown.  Today, more so than any other day I can recall, I came across people, places and things that brought me back to my youth.  Big time.

I ran by the house where my great-grandparents raised their six children.  I only knew four of these six children but they were and continue to be amazing influences on me and now my children.  The last of the six still lives there with his wife.  (Blog post about him to come soon!)  My two cousins live downstairs.  That house, to me, is where it all began. 

I ran through Fletcher Field.  It is where I spent time swinging on swings with boys who broke my heart and with the boy who ultimately has my heart.  (I swear, all we did was swing on swings...if any of you knew me when I was in high school, you'd know this to be very, very true!!)

I ran by many folks, most of whom I've known since I was in elementary or junior high school.  (Two of whom yelled out "Crow" and "Crowley" as I passed).  You've known me a looooong time if that's how you refer to me.  And I promise, it always makes me smile. 

I ran passed The Rome.  A culinary staple in town for generations, the family just last week lost (way too early) one of the matriarchs of their family.  My children have grown up knowing that "if you want good pizza, you gotta go to The Rome on Fridays when Rocco's in the kitchen." 

I ran alongside Pisini Field where I and my dad, played softball.  It is there where I first met one of my dearest and oldest friends.  And it is there where, if I close my eyes, I can see my dad crouching behind home plate as catcher wearing his green and yellow number 00 jersey.

I ran through the new construction of the high school.  Every time I drive by, I get so excited that H and M will be attending school in what is sure to be an amazing place.  And yet, it makes me sad that they won't graduate from the same high school as G and I did, just for sentimental reasons.  As I turned the corner this morning, (near what used to be the tennis courts) I thought of all the classes, dances, infatuations, fights, and all-round good times we spent there. 

I ran by the Akin-Back Farm.  While I passed by, the woman (whom I assume is the owner) was out on the front steps with her seeing eye dog as I've seen her for years.  She was getting the mail while wearing her nightgown and slippers.  She must be at least 186 years old. God love 'er.

I moved over on the sidewalk to let Mr. Pisini walk by me as he was on his way back to work from the post office.  If you walk inside his shoe store tomorrow, you'll honestly feel as if it's 1967 (at the latest). He makes posters for his windows on posterboard with pencil markings for margins and straight line guides.  He leaves shoes on the sidewalk all summer-long in an attempt to drum up business.  I don't think he really needs the business but he's at it 365, 24/7, it seems.

I ran by Bobby Catalano, who's house recently burned down.  F & P Molla (why hire any other construction company but them??!!)  has worked tirelessly for months re-building his home.  There was such extensive damage so it's taking a very long time.  They are doing an amazing job!  I only hope he lives long enough to enjoy it. He, like the Akin-Back Farm lady, is no Spring Chicken either!

I ran by a few of my oldest friends' parents' houses.  I find comfort knowing that, inside, are people who know me through and through.  And would drop everything if we ever needed them.  With just a knock on the door. 
 
I know that to some, the idea of living this life is cringe-worthy.  I get that.  I really do.  But to me, I can't imagine it any other way.  I completely understand why some people (most people) live far, far away from their hometown.  I am envious of those who have the chutzpah to leave all that they've known and start over - whether they be ten, thirty or fifty.  There is absolutely a part of me that would pack up tomorrow and go somewhere new.  Somewhere different.  But then, I think - why?  I truly, honestly, love it here. 

The purpose of my run this morning was not to re-live my younger years.  The intention was not to feel like the mayor of the town (I leave that title to G).  I told my boss (whom I've known since I was eight, by the way...) that I was playing hookey and that I'd be coming in to work a little later.  I had no business coming in to work late today.  The folks around me always work much harder than I but this week, they are working (literally) around the clock.  The least I could have done was show up at a reasonable hour.  And yet, today I just wanted a little comfort in a run.  And I let myself do it.  And I definitely got some comfort - and then some.

No comments:

Post a Comment