Monday, November 4, 2013

Love

2 kids + 2 grandparents + weekend = happiness
1 wife + 1 husband + weekend (without kids) = happiness
(No offense, kids...)

Win (for them).  Win (for them).  Win (for us).

Every time we had a moment last week, our conversation inevitably ended up with something like "remember that Nonie WANTS to be 1,807 mph as she's used to.  But she's not (just yet)."

"We know.  Don't worry."

But we did.  I didn't talk to my mom today (and only talked to her for a bit yesterday).  I'm sure she was beyond exhausted.  And yet, she'd never complain.  Love.

This weekend, for H, M and my parents, was just what it "should" be.  Not because anyone expects it to be but just because that's how they've always done "their weekends" for years.  Going here.  Going there.  Shopping here, there and everywhere.  Movies.  Dinners out.  Take out.  Church.  FSPA.  Staying up late.  Cooking.  You name it.  They do it.  This weekend was something that I wasn't sure they'd ever be able to do again.  And they did it.  M and H haven't stopped smiling.  And so, neither have we.  Love.

Every time we talked to the girls, they regaled us with more and more stories.  It made my heart smile.  Love. 

And while they were having a blast and a half, so were we.  Love.

We started the weekend by celebrating the beginnings of a theater downtown, "The Black Box."  Although I have nothing to do with the why's, how's or what's of this black box, I am infinitely proud of all those that do.  Their determination and "don't take no's" are a lesson to watch and admire.  I am beyond excited for this and can't wait for this next chapter.  We celebrated this night with friends, many of whom we consider family.  While so many there asked where my parents were, I knew that they were just where they belong.  As much as they'd have liked to have joined in the festivities, they (at that point) were home in the pjs, eating popcorn, cuddling and watching movies with "the rugrats" aka "the goobers".  Love.

The next day, G and I hit the road for Newport, one of our favorite places, to celebrate out 16th anniversary.  As horrifyingly old as that makes me feel, we had a blast (as I knew we would).  I can only liken myself to the Hungry Little Catepillar.   We just kept eating and drinking our way across the city.  With all of Newport Restaurant Week at our disposal all day and night, I opted to end the night with six powdered mini-donuts from 7eleven as we walked home.  Sometimes I love myself with my choices.  The weather was gorg, the food (including the 99 cent donuts) and drink yum and the company quite great as well.  (As much as I say he drives me nuts - and I'm sure he does the same of me - we're really a match made in Heaven.  I don't know who else would put up with either of us!!)  Love.

Our bed and breakfast was perfect, minus the woman I yelled at at 8am.  (I can't do the story justice here.  The next time you see me, ask.  I'll still be fired up about her.  Idiot.)  Other than this dumbass...Love.

We came home on Sunday, picked up the girls and off I went to spend the afternoon with my oldest and dearest buds (minus one).   We pick up where we left off.  Every single time.  Love.

Today, it was sadly back to reality.  Don't get me wrong.  My daily grind's not all that stressful.  But it's weekends like this that make you want to rewind and do it all over again.  Love.

Except for the dumbass...don't want to do that over again.  (Although seeing G's face after I yelled at her...that'd be fun to see again.) 

Love (with a little splash of crazy).

No comments:

Post a Comment