Monday, August 12, 2013

Legacy

I was asked to sing at a funeral this past weekend.

I was honored to have been asked.  While I don't know the family very well on a personal level, our families, it seems, have always known each other - through church, mutual friends, going through school together, just living in this town all our lives.   They are a family that I've always held in high esteem and I always will.

The funeral was filled with folks that are, to me, the foundation of this town.  They are the families that have been here for generations and, likely will be, for generations to come.  While everyone was so saddened by this sudden loss, there was a lot of comfort to see so many amazing folks gather together to show their respect, love and support of a family they hold so dear.

I was humbled to have even the littlest part in the day.

The brother of the gentleman who passed away spoke at his eulogy.  Four of his five children spoke as well.  They all spoke with an eloquence that can't be described.  (I've only heard such eloquence one other time when, in fact, listening to three friends give a eulogy for their dad a little over a year ago.  They sat in the front row on Saturday, providing comfort and love in a way only they can.  They are walking the walk now, without their dad.  They will, I know, be there for this family, however and whenever, needed.) 

As I sat and listened to these amazing words, I was in awe listening to the legacy this man has left.  Simply by doing nothing other than being himself.  He was an awesome (in the truest sense of the word) man:  husband, father, brother and friend.  I can't even begin to give you examples of what this man was.  What this man did.  I sat there and was honestly so sad for all the people in the church who will miss him every day.  He was, I know, an unbelievable human being.  Plain and simple.

It made me wonder what my legacy will be.  Now, I now that (I hope) I still have years to go before someone's reading my eulogy (God forbid) and I guess I don't need to panic (just yet), but really.  If I were to die to tomorrow, what would my legacy be?

I feel as if I'm just a converse-wearing knucklehead who gets through the day by making fun of herself, her children and her husband.  That won't make for much of a eulogy.  My legacy is weak, at best, at this point.

I guess I need to start working on building my legacy.  But you're not supposed to think about building a legacy.  You're supposed to just do it.  Just by being you.

Humph. I guess that's all I can do.  Just be me.  I just hope that's good enough...

4 comments:

  1. Kim,

    Both a year ago and last weekend your voice comforted many and not the least of which those touched the most by loss. Music calms me in general and I am always grateful to have it available to me as a 'sense'. The sounds that You and Stevie gave us were a gift and they calmed some unsteady moments.

    True legacy is never recognized by its maker - this is in part its beauty. Count yourself as one blind to her own legacy. Rest well assured you are living a life that touches many in ways you are unaware.

    Thank you for that.

    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim,

    This is so beautiful. Thank you for your thoughts, and for sharing your voice at the funeral. Words can't convey our appreciation. I echo Bill's thoughts on legacy.

    Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lindsay. I have been thinking of all of you so much. As I sat listening to all of you speak on Saturday, I just kept thinking of what an inspiration your dad is. Although I surely didn't know him well, I laughed and cried along with everyone else on Saturday morning. I hope you all found comfort in your lovely words about him.

      I have such a vivid memory of your parents from decades ago, in church. Your mom was doing a children's reading while wearing angel wings. I can't imagine why...but it apparently made quite an impression!!! Your dad, to me, simply looked like a "fun guy". I was amazed at how much he reminded me of Santa Claus. I chuckled when I saw the picture of him as Santa on Saturday's program.

      Please know that I am thinking of all of you during this unspeakable time.

      KIM

      Delete
  3. And Billy, I'm not sure what happened to my comment from yesterday...but again, I will tell you that you and your sisters all made me cry - simply by seeing you on Saturday and be reading your thoughts on this post. Thinking of you all. xoxo

    ReplyDelete